Pain and Suffering


Since late 2009 I had been having chronic pain in my left knee while running and significant swim kicking. After going to Kauai in May and running about 6 miles (because I really felt good), I finally realized that after 5 months of tolerable pain was nothing compared to the swivel I then had for a knee and the swelling that resembled elephantitis (ok, not that bad, and I am not poking fun at lymphatic filariasis). So once we were back stateside I decided to get it checked out and Dr. Cara Walther and Michael Dennis at Desert Orthopedics gave me the news - a torn meniscus. Okay, so will I be able to run again? Sure, but we suggest not running another marathon. Three weeks later I had the pleasure of having a spinal to numb my legs and having Cara and Michael shove small diameter tools in and around my knee to trim away the tears and poke around to make sure I didn't ruin anything else. It was nice to be able to watch the video. Fun times.

Yesterday, I spent time getting to know Joy at Rebound Physical Therapy in Redmond and discover what I will need to do to get my leg back into shape. It is amazing to see how the muscle in thigh just doesn't want to do what your brain it telling it to. Still a little swollen from the surgery, Joy checked my range of motion, verified my balance, and gave me a list of exercises to work on to help speed the healing process. So wanting to quit hobbling around, I have been doing my exercises as required, but I fail to see how they will strengthen my knee and quads. I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks!

Later this week, back on the bike, albeit on the technique trainer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Is Ever Easy