Snow and rain - not fun

Endomondo Mountain biking Workout: "was out mountain biking 12.04 miles in 56m:01s using Endomondo."



Okay, so this is one of those situations where bravado needs to take a back seat to the stupidity of riding offroad in the snow, rain, and sleet. Not only were my feet blocks of ice when I got done, my hands were almost non-functional, and silly me - I have to wash my bike after this exercise. Dumb. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I went out and did the ride, but I was not a happy boy. Riding as slow as I did due to the neat winds that swirl around here didn't help.  Here is a picture of the dirty bike after riding.



So averaging just under 13 mph with a 37°F day made it about 29°F with wind chill.

Wind Chill Chart shows temperature and wind speed at which frostbite can set in. See wind chill calculator at bottom of page for equivalent.

Chart can be found at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/windchill/index.shtml and there is a nice little calculator on the page listed so you can determine the actual chill factor when you ride in fabulous weather such as this. I should have borrowed a co-worker's GoPro camera so I could share the snowstorm video while riding. Things to consider while riding in inclement weather:

neoprene shoe covers - protects feet from rain and water, keeps them warmer:


Some good tights that are wind resistant, and water resistant.


Some cycling gloves that are insulated and also water resistant.

A good thin but efficient hat to wear under your helmet like the Smartwool beanies like this one:




And hopefully a hot shower to jump into when you are done with your ride.  As many of you know, I spend a lot of money on Sierra Trading Post and all of these items are easily found there.  Spend enough and you can get an additional 25% off the already discounted prices.

20% off $100, 25% off $150, 30% off $200   at Sierra Trading Post. Use code: ALJULY2KX. Valid 7.8.2010 to 8.4.2010

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Is Ever Easy