Ouch - I am sore

Surprisingly enough, I pushed it a little too hard on October 15th, I must have been feeling my oats! Started off the day with a bit of P90X Yoga (about 1:30-ish minutes) then rode the Airport-Canal Loop at lunch that I have posted before that I tracked with my Blackberry using Endomondo, then went and had the fabulously torturous physical therapy session with Joy Torbett, PT, OCS and Rebound in Redmond for an hour in the late afternoon.  So, stating the obvious, I really beat my legs up something fierce and felt it today while riding my loop around the airport and canal.  At least I was wearing Smartwool socks all day!



Although you probably wouldn't guess it, the P90X yoga is actually pretty well done.  I have been to a few yoga classes and have a collection of yoga DVD's (because I am too lazy to drive to a yoga class), and this is pretty good.  It isn't beginner, but maybe a step up from beginner.  I am usually dripping with heavy sweat when I am doing it, so it is working my body pretty well.

I rode the airport canal loop with Kevin Risse of Risse Racing.  Kevin has his own machine shop where he manufactures shocks for our aircraft, as well as mountain bikes - odd combination.  It was good to get Kevin out away from his machine shop, and get him out into the sun and ride his bike around the canal.  Its the mechanic's car analogy.  Just as I work in aviation and do not fly due to time, Kevin does not ride near as much as he should, so I convinced him (it wasn't that tough) to come out.  I also converted him to the Endomondo app, although he is using it on his iPhone.  This was that route and time on my Supercaliber 29 | Gary Fisher Bicycles


Finishing the day with Joy was barely a joy!  I think she finds new exercises to see if I am stupid enough to try them.  In the physical therapy session, I believe her first words were "Holy Mackerel" when I was doing a specific lunging or plyometric exercise.  "Holy Mackerel" is her word for "that was ugly, do it again."  Torture. It probably didn't help that I also showed her some exercises I have been doing on my own to get my leg strength back and my knee to be more functional.  She had me doing star squats on a 7" step; side to side leaping lunges with a 14lb medicine ball; walking and twisting lunges (again with the 14lb medicine ball); windmill lunges with 8lb weights; jumping from side to side with two legs; jumping with one leg; jump 180's with left foot leading then right foot leading; tippy-bird crunches with the 11lb medicine ball (a weak moment for her); jumping lunges; criss-cross leaps; jump-ups to varying height elephant stands; and some core exercises (planks and side planks with 8lb weighs).  We finished the session with her actually stating my strength looks good and that I should try to go for a run.  Try 5-10 miles on an easy pace and see how it feels.  um, okaayyy.  How about 3 miles on a track, with a rubberized surface.  No reason to kill myself that much so soon!  However, with the way my legs feel I think I will wait a week.  Besides I will have to buy some new shoes.  Sierra Trading Post here I come!


Here is that tippy bird with crunches (minus the medicine ball) she convinced me to try:




Enhanced by Zemanta

20% off $100, 25% off $150, 30% off $200   at Sierra Trading Post. Use code: ALJULY2KX. Valid 7.8.2010 to 8.4.2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Is Ever Easy