Road/Pool/Garage to recovery

It has been 3 full weeks since my surgery and the swelling has come down considerably.  The pain is significantly less, however the amount of movement is still less than optimal.  Additionally, as the Dr. Cara Walther at Desert Orthopedics had stated, the muscles in that leg took a vacation and have pretty much been taking their sweet time to listen to any commands.  Even the simplest "flex my quads" command meets resistance and quavering.  Still not fully up or down the stairs with confidence yet, but after swimming 3200 meters on Saturday helped more than I thought it would. Especially kicking, as painful as it was.  Of course, after not doing much of anything the past 3-1/2 weeks made me feel like a true weekend-warrior!  Now all my muscles are tight and need significant stretching.  Surprisingly enough my aerobic capacity was not as bad as I though it would be.  Must be all this high-altitude training and living we do here in Bend!  Actually Gaiam has a device they offer that is designed to strengthen your breathing muscles and increase your aerobic capacity. I might have to check it out and see what it can do for me!

Gaiam.com, IncImagine the combination of the higher altitude and the resistance breathing method!  I would have to take a breath ever 5 minutes - OK, a little facetious but it could help significantly to those looking to increase their efficiency.  The problem is, my swimming is akin to a bird splashing around in the bird bath.  Laurie still hasn't pounded a true swimmer's stroke through my head.  Not quite as bad as these folks....



So let's see, if it is 6-8 weeks before I am running again, then I need to consider the best way to get back into shape.  One thing I have to admit, just with the little physical therapy applied by the folks down in Redmond Rebound I miss the being coached.  I am motivated enough to get out there and do it, but the coaching makes you push harder.  Have you ever considered Why We Do What We Do: Understanding Self-Motivation

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Is Ever Easy